May 25, 2009

The "Glee" pilot.

Initial thoughts:

Good, not great. At times very good, but at other times clumsy and rushed. Ryan Murphy and company pack a lot of material into these first 44 minutes, so much so that characters complete dramatic arcs that on other shows would take a good half-season.

I enjoyed the adults more than the teens. The writers seem to have a solid grasp on Will, Emma, Terri and Sue more so than Rachel and Finn. I had problems with Finn in particular; for the amount of time devoted to his decision to stick with the Glee Club, I still don't have a strong sense of who he is. He seems like a nice enough guy, I guess, but I don't understand what led him to become a Football Jock Asshole in the first place.

Lea Michele (Rachel) has a phenomenal voice. I agree, however, with everyone who's said she needs to work on her acting. The writers gave her some good material, but she didn't quite pull off the more nuanced/tender moments. That said, she'll be kicking major ass by the end of the season.

Final analysis:

Good, not great, but the good was good enough that I'll definitely be back. Now that he's established his world, I'm really interested to see where Murphy goes from here. And let's be honest, I'd probably be back for the music alone. There's a reason the cast recording of "Don't Stop Believin" has been in the iTunes Top 10 since it debuted.

No comments:

Post a Comment