Jan 4, 2010

To Julianne Moore.

Thanks for being the best thing about A Single Man (a movie I quite liked; Tom Ford's elegant colors, paired with the classical score, resulted in a delicious gourmet meal for two of the five senses). Colin Firth's performance proved a lovely, aching depiction of composed desperation, but you gave us a life story in fifteen minutes, from Charlotte's staggered steps to her forced, hearty laugh (if only you had brushed the hair out of your eyes). How do you feel about the the ending? I'm caught between romantic and contrived.

Let's discuss; I'll bring the gin.

1 comment:

  1. So, my esteemed American Film professor had the following to say about "A Single Man":

    "Didn't care for A SINGLE MAN, though I did think Colin Firth was amazing in it. The book is pretty good but you really need someone to shape it into a screenplay, and Tom Ford is no director ~ all those fancy effects made me crazy, and Julianne Moore should beat him up for the way he made her look. I hate to be obvious, but the fact that Ford is a gay man making a gay movie doesn't mean that the only significant female character ought to come across as ludicrous. It's a pretty mean treatment of Moore, I think."

    I think he might be right, too.

    ReplyDelete