May 6, 2010

Happy birthday.

This afternoon, (Title Pending) turns one. A year ago today, I was sitting in my apartment in Worcester, MA, procrastinating studying for my American Film final. Last May, I raced at the Eastern Sprints, graduated college, and flew to California for the National Rowing Championships. Erick, Kevin and I moved out of our apartment, and myself, Erick, Adam, Bratton, Jimmy, and Terry took our final strokes as Holy Cross rowers. Two days before flying to California, my dad's father died, and for the entire month, I had one of the worst cases of Poison Ivy known to man. It was an emotional time.

Over the past year, almost my entire life has changed. I moved to New York (twice), once for the Columbia Publishing Course, and once to get a job. I lived in Morningside Heights for two months, and drank my way up and down the West Side (nice to meet you, The Frying Pan). I met Elizabeth Strout (twice), and applied for more jobs than I thought existed. I met a wonderful group of nerdy book people, who have become cherished friends. When August came, however, and I didn't have a job, or an apartment, or much of a plan, back to Maine I went.

New York, Take Two has lasted a little longer, due to the apartment-finding skills of Roommates Joe and Alex, a job (thanks to the Columbia Publishing Course), and a bit of a plan. I have gotten inappropriately drunk at numerous New York drinking establishments (oh, bottle of champagne at New Years, you were a stupid idea [that I don't even remember]), bought a small library from the Union Square Barnes & Noble (sorry, The Strand), and kept myself out of credit card dept.

When I look back over the past year, (Title Pending) stands out as one of the few constants in my life. This blog journeyed with me from Massachusetts, to California, to New York, and to Maine and back more times than I can count. People from all walks of my life have followed me here, and been generous enough to share their enthusiasm. At Homecoming Weekend last fall, I never expected Flynn to greet me with an "I love your blog!" Home in Maine for Thanksgiving, I never expected my high school classmate, Gabi, to tell me she's read some of my stuff.

I especially have to tip my hat to (Title Pending)'s most vocal supporters. Adam wins the award for most frequent commenter, even if he recently tweeted that Glee is "stupid." Maree gets a special prize for being the only person to comment on the Alex Knepper post, the subject of which whipped me into a fevered rage for a week. Finally, if you don't read Becca's excellent blog, start. Whenever I'm writing reviews, I think "what would Becca say?" She is brilliant and funny, and I love when we text each other during Glee (Jonathan Groff - call us!).

So, here's to the past year, and all the change, and good TV, and bad TV, and books, and Wicked posts, and Heidi Montag plastic surgery that came with it. Thanks everyone for reading, and talking, and keeping this place alive. You have no idea what your involvement means to me.

3 comments:

  1. That's so funny -- whenever I'm writing my reviews, I think "What would Wade say?" (The answer is usually either "Will Schuester is a douche" or "Jonathan Groff - call me!")

    I adore reading your wonderful, witty blog posts and geeking out about Glee with you. And there's just nothing better than a (Title Pending) shout-out. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wade- I really do love your blog! Agree that I heart the shout out. I read it all the time and by reading it I feel like I get to talk to you all the time! I love all of your insightful thoughts and your witty comments and cannot wait to see you again soon!
    -Flynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this now. High five to me for being the most frequent commenter, and high five to you for writing stuff worth commenting. Its funny, things haven't changed so much for me. I'm still doing the sport that involves seat-racing (lost this morning actually, I think I'm out of the 1V), still living with Holy Cross rower(s) (Erick), and still think Glee is stupid.

    ReplyDelete