Apr 24, 2011

On Bossy.

Below, you'll find my favorite quotes from Tina Fey's funny, non-fiction book Bossypants (is it a memoir? I say no. It kind of reads like an episode of Saturday Night Live, if that makes any sense. It jumps around a lot both topically and chronologically, and is smart and funny*).

On realizing gay people are people too:

"I had to face the fact that I had been using my gay friends as props. They were always supposed to be funny and entertain me and praise me and listen to my problems, and their life was supposed to be a secret that no one wanted to hear about. I wanted them to stay in the 'half closet' . . .

We can't expect our gay friends to always be single, celibate, and arriving early with the nacho fix-in's."

In other words, "Gay people were made that way by God, but not solely for my entertainment."

Thanks, Tina. Also, thanks for making me snort with laughter after reading the following passage, in which you recall your honeymoon cruise ship catching fire and almost pulling a Titanic:

"I keep my eyes on the sea, waiting to be rocketed into it on a wave of fire. I'll be ready for it to happen and that way it won't happen. It's a burden, being able to control situations with my hyper-vigilance . . .

Some crew members come around with coolers of cold drinks. A nearby woman takes a soda and hands it back, saying, 'Do you have diet?' If God had a sense of humor, the ship would have exploded right then."

Thank God it didn't.

*This book is funnier than any episode of SNL I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment