Feb 2, 2010

TV time.

A resounding "yes" to Parks & Recreation, currently the funniest comedy on NBC. Remember loving The Office because it struck a perfect balance between heartwarming and cynical? Remember when The Office was funny? This feels like that; I genuinely enjoy spending time with these people. Amy Poehler has shaped Leslie Knope into a capable idealist surrounded by doubtful eye-rollers whose chests nonetheless swell with pride upon witnessing her achievements. Despite their spats, the characters really like each other, making it all the easier to love them.

A vacillating "maybe" to Caprica, the new Syfy (ugh) Battlestar prequel. I am one of those Battlestar fans that hated the finale so vehemently it's hard for me to look past it to the show I adored (it took any semblance of complexity/subtlety/grace out of the narrative and replaced the quality storytelling with space battles/God Magic/sappy happy endings, but I digress). I like the cast (especially the terrific actress playing Zoe), but I'm not sure how I feel about the premise. It watches like the love-child of Battlestar and Gossip Girl, and while I'd normally be all "yes, please!" the creators' track record has me nervous.

A resigned "no" to the Dollhouse finale, which needed an extra hour in order not to feel like the outline of a Dollhouse finale. The show hit its stride mid-season then made a clumsy dash for the finish. Adelle, Topher, Victor, Sierra and Alpha (not to mention Mag, Zone, and Caroline 2.0) all got short-changed. Adelle and Topher, in particular, deserved way more story (what a waste of Olivia Williams!), and you can't bring back a reformed Alpha and not explain why. "Epitaph One" was the highlight of the series; "Epitaph 2: Return" is an unworthy sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment