Aug 7, 2009

Entertainment weekly.

I'm home in Maine until my New York lease starts later this month. It's very quiet here, so I've got lots of free time to do all my favorite things (lay in bed and read, lay in bed and watch movies, etc.). Here's what I read/watched this week:

The Tenderness of Wolves: Really, really good. I don't normally go for historical fiction, but I got this for free at Columbia, and figured I might as well give it a try. I'm glad I did. Stef Penney strikes the perfect balance between intricately complex plotting and strong character work. The entire cast exists in three dimensions: Mrs. Ross, Parker, Moody, Francis, Line, the list goes on. Mrs. Ross, in particular, is a triumph. The plot (which begins as a murder mystery) grabs your attention, but the characters are the real reason for sticking around. Maybe my favorite book of this summer; Olive Kitteridge has some stiff competition, at the very least.

Watchmen: I never saw this in theaters, and I'm kind of glad I didn't. I watched it in two installments (I paused when Rorschach went to prison), and the break kept it from feeling too long. I really liked it - a smart take on the superhero genre that didn't call too much attention to itself or suffocate the viewer with its sense of self-importance (I'm talking about you, The Dark Knight). Malin Akerman was as horribly miscast as everyone said; I wanted her to be angrier, goddammit! Having seen the film, I think I'll commit to finishing the graphic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment