Mar 23, 2010

In living color.

A little over a month ago, I finally saw Wicked. I am eternally grateful to my great friend, Cassie, who scored us third row seats, and patted my shoulder during both "Defying Gravity," and "For Good," (otherwise known as The Two Songs That Will Make You Cry, Or Else You Have No Feelings). We sat behind a lovely pair of women who sobbed for the entire second act, and exchanged kind words with us upon the show's completion.

I'm not going to say too much about the show because all of you should go see it yourselves. It's magical. Besides my well documented emotional attachment to this particular story, it's just an impressive piece of theater. The blocking and choreography alone left me astounded. The acting was superb, especially Dee Roscioli as Elphaba and Katie Rose Clarke as Glinda. They each brought a unique charm to their role, and denied comparison to the show's famous originators, Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.

The immediacy of a live performance transports you to Oz in a way I'm not sure a movie ever would, it heightens the experience, like watching TV in HD. By the time Roscioli flew into the air belting "So if you care to find me/Look to the Western sky," I had the biggest, silliest, most elated grin on my face, traces of which still emerge whenever I think back to that evening. I will always cherish the memory of that night, and the privelege of seeing my favorite story ever told enacted on so grand a scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment