Mar 23, 2010

Short cuts.

The Best American Short Stories 2009: I already expressed my frustration with this series' continued recycling of its pet themes, and while that tradition unfortunately continues here, there is still plenty to celebrate. I usually like each volume just enough to read the next one (except for the fantastic Stephen King edited 2007 edition, which you should read for Richard Russo's "Horseman" at the very least), and that's the case here. I would give guest editor Alice Sebold a solid B+ for her efforts. My top five, in order of appearance: Sarah Shun-Lien Bynum's "Yurt," Adam Johnson's "Hurricanes Anonymous," Victoria Lancelotta's "The Anniversary Trip," (easily the best of the bunch) Annie Proulx's "Them Old Cowboy Songs," and Namwali Serpell's "Muzungu."

The Real Housewives of New York City: Yes, I watch this show. Are you surprised? I wasn't planning to comment on these women and their crazy Fashion Week cat-fights, but the venomous discussion of Jill, Bethenny, and company currently happening at Television Without Pity (check the Candid Reality forum) demands attention. The majority of posters have nothing but vitriol with which to pellet these women, often disparaging their physical appearances (okay, Ramona does look a little crazy), and attempts at fame-whoring (okay, LuAnn [a recently divorced, forty-something mother of two] did record a "pop" song).

I was most surprised, however, to discover the negativity directed toward Jill Zarin on account of her rift with Bethenny Frankel (I can't believe I'm writing about this, but here we are). In my opinion, it's Bethenny who comes across worse. Whatever her reasons, she cut Jill out of her life without a second glance, acts as though their falling-out never happened, and drunkenly told her boyfriend she was "crazy and damaged." Women of America, she is not a role model! Jill, at the very least, displays true loyalty to her family and close friends, and offers her cast mates both advice and access to her professional connections. Yes, she likes the drama, and yes, she occasionally picks fights, but I'd rather have dinner with her than Bethenny any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment