Mar 7, 2010

TV time.

Caprica: I don't know; it's not grabbing me the way Battlestar did. It's a good show, very thoughtful, but also a bit slow. It lacks a certain sense of urgency, mystery, and danger. The Graystone family (Daniel, Amanda, and Zoe) easily interest me the most; I'm really enjoying the fucked-up, futuristic family drama that is their storyline (it helps that Eric Stolz, Paula Malcomson, and Alessandra Torresani are the best actors in the cast). I guess I've yet to decipher an overall sense of direction, or envision a way the multiple threads (the Soldiers of the One, Daniel's business, Tamara's Matrix adventure, Zoe) can and will tie together. I want to care about it more than I do.

Parenthood: Peter Krause, Lauren Graham, and Craig T. Nelson are all very good. I'm not so sure about Monica Potter, Erika Christensen, and Dax Shepard (particularly Dax Shepard). This series has potential to be either heart-warming family fare, or a total mess. There are a lot of characters to service every week, so it will be interesting to see if the writers can keep up the juggling act. I'm not sure I'll watch regularly, but I could see myself catching an episode or two on a lazy Sunday.

Survivor
: I like Cirie a lot, so I was disappointed to see her go, especially since she didn't get to work her usual post-merge magic (she's probably the best social player the show has ever had). I also don't understand JT's strategy. Unless he flips back to the James/Amanda/Rupert alliance next week, he's placed himself in a minority alliance that just lost its immunity idol. The Heroes are playing a very strong game way too early; by fracturing into specific alliances this far from the merge, they're cutting down the big guns they'll likely need against the Villains. I know these people have previous relationships, but not everyone will ditch their original tribe for their friends, particularly if their tribe enters the merge with a numbers advantage. In other words: Amanda and James, don't count on Parvati to save your asses, especially if she's sitting pretty.

2 comments:

  1. Wade! I have a question for you that is unrelated to the content of this post. I hope that is okay. How do you get the "Read more..." to appear only when you actually have a jump? Because mine just appears ALWAYS, and it is crazy-making.

    On another note, I need to watch "Parenthood" stat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca! I have been trying to explain the HTML code I use to create the "Read more . . . " link, but every time I type it into a comment, and then publish, it disappears. We will have to discuss this in person. I think you will like Parenthood, I did.

    ReplyDelete