Jul 6, 2010

Recently read.

Covers by Anchor, Harper Perennial,
and The Dial Press

The Blind Assassin: Prior to reading this book, I had never read any Margaret Atwood (I know). I consumed her Booker Prize winning masterpiece in a frenzied four days; I can't remember the last time I so desperately needed to know what happened next, while simultaneously never wanting the book to end. The narrative-within-the-narrative keeps you guessing, dropping clues as to what's really happening, even as protagonist Iris Chase Griffen dances around the truth. Phrases like "tour de force," and "jaw-dropping" come to mind. The most satisfying novel I've read since starting this blog.

I Am Not Myself These Days: My latest foray into memoir, and yet another true story about drinking too much (this time coupled with crack addiction). Josh Kilmer-Purcell reflects on his drag queen days, when he also dated a high class Manhattan hooker. You kind of have to wonder how either of them survived, since no one in this book is ever sober. I found it more a collection of shocking episodes than an examination of a destructive relationship, but it's a good dose of dangerous fun (until it isn't). It made me want to go to a gay club until 5 AM, and then go to work the next day like nothing happened.

The Imperfectionists: If the ending of this book taught me anything, it's that Tom Rachman has a bleak view of humanity. Most members of his fictional newspaper staff find themselves miserable, self-hating, in denial, or the victim of substantial tragedy. His pair of "strong women" also feel unintentionally similar. That said, this is a well-written examination of a workplace community (it reminded me of Then We Came to the End). As Rachman reveals, you might dislike your co-workers, but they most likely have private, personal, and powerful reasons for acting that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment